If you’ve been involved in a car accident in Chesterfield or anywhere else in South Carolina, you should call one of the car accident lawyers at the Jebaily Law Firm right away. Our firm has been fighting on behalf of injured people in Chesterfield and surrounding areas of South Carolina for more than 50 years.
With more than 100 years of combined legal experience behind us and millions of dollars collected for our clients, our staff has the knowledge and drive to seek the compensation you deserve after an accident.
Learn about your legal rights and options at a free consultation. Call us or visit our contact page today.
Common Causes of Chesterfield, SC Car Accidents
Despite the broad use of the term “accident,” very few car crashes are truly accidental. More often than not, a car crash is the result of someone’s negligent or reckless behavior. This includes actions like drivers choosing to drink before getting behind the wheel or continuing to drive when they should stop to take a break.
In other cases, an accident is the result of external circumstances, but that doesn’t mean the crash wasn’t avoidable. For example, car companies can be held liable for a crash if it was the result of a known mechanical defect. Regardless of how your accident occurred, a knowledgeable car accident attorney can look at what happened and tell you if you may have cause for legal action.
Driver-Related Causes of Car Accidents
Some of the most common driver-related causes of car accidents include:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol – Using alcohol and drugs impacts a driver’s reflexes, judgment, and cognitive abilities. This makes it much harder to see, react to, and avoid dangerous conditions in the roadway. Certain prescription medications can have serious side effects, even if they’re obtained legally. The South Carolina Department of Public Safety reports that there were 291 people killed and 5,230 people injured in DUI collisions in a single recent year, making them one of the most common causes of car accidents.
- Driving while fatigued – Fatigued driving is another issue that plagues roads in and around Chesterfield. When drivers do not get enough rest before driving, their reflexes are slowed and their judgment is impaired, leading them to make mistakes. In extreme cases, fatigue can even result in a driver falling asleep at the wheel, making it impossible for the driver to react to the environment around them.
- Distracted driving – There are many ways someone can become distracted while driving. It’s crucial that drivers maintain their focus to the best of their ability. Potential distractions include talking on the phone while driving, sending or reading a text message while driving, adjusting the music, eating or drinking, daydreaming, “rubbernecking” at accidents on the road, and talking to other people in the car.
- Speeding – Speeding not only makes it harder for drivers to see and avoid potential hazards in their path, it also results in more severe injuries when accidents occur. The faster something is moving when it collides with another object, the greater the force of impact.
- Aggressive driving – Sudden lane changes, weaving in and out of traffic, failing to use turn signals, and other examples of aggressive driving put everyone on the road at risk. An aggressive driver is much more likely to lose control of their vehicle, and they have less time to react in the event of an emergency. Aggressive driving also makes it harder for other motorists on the road to see and avoid a dangerous driver.
External-Related Causes of Car Accidents
Some of the most common external-related causes of car accidents include:
- Weather – Rain, snow, sleet, ice, fog, and other bad weather makes it harder for drivers to control their vehicle and see hazards in their path. Drivers must slow down and adapt their driving to account for inclement weather.
- Animals in the road – Large animals are slow, heavy obstacles that can do serious damages to vehicles and passengers alike, and they’re not always easy to see. Drivers must maintain control of their vehicles when they encounter an animal in the road. Serious crashes can involve other motorists when a driver overreacts.
- Mechanical defects – Issues with a vehicle’s brakes, steering system, engine, tires, or other parts can cause drivers to lose control of their vehicle, leading to a crash. The issue in question may be a design defect, or it may be that a particular part was poorly made. In either case, the manufacturer can often be held liable when these accidents occur.
- Poorly maintained roadways – Potholes and other forms of road deterioration cause accidents by making it harder for drivers to maintain control of their vehicle as it’s moving.
- Roadwork/construction – While drivers should always exercise great care around construction workers and vehicles, sometimes construction crews act in a careless manner. For example, a construction vehicle may attempt to enter the flow of traffic when it’s not safe to do so, leading to an accident.
Contact a Chesterfield Car Accident Lawyer for Help
If you’ve been involved in a Chesterfield car accident, it’s important to speak to a lawyer as soon as possible. For your best chance at recovering compensation after a crash, you’ll need to act quickly to preserve the necessary evidence.
At the Jebaily Law Firm, our team of dedicated car accident lawyers knows how to aggressively pursue the money you deserve after a collision. We’re prepared to thoroughly investigate your claim to find all the liable parties, handle all your communications needs, recommend doctors and other specialists to help with your recovery, and fight for the maximum possible settlement. If a fair settlement can’t be reached, we will not be afraid to bring your case to court to seek justice for you.
Time is of the essence after a major car crash. To discuss your case with a member of our team, call us today or visit our contact page.
Jebaily Law Firm, is one of South Carolina’s long-established and well-respected legal practices. Located in Florence, S.C., we are trial lawyers focused on plaintiff litigation in personal injury, workers’ compensation, social security disability, and criminal defense. Established in 1969, we have more than 100 years of combined legal experience in protecting the rights of clients and advocating for the safety and well-being of South Carolina citizens.