Have you suffered a spinal cord injury in Myrtle Beach that was someone else’s fault? If so, Jebaily Law Firm is ready to demand that they compensate you for the devastating effects of the injury on your life, from the cost of your medical treatment to how the injury has impacted your career and personal life.
We stand prepared to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your injury, determine everyone who might be liable for it, negotiate for a fair settlement, and even take your case to court if we have to. And we’ll do all that at no upfront cost to you, only charging a fee if we win your case.
Don’t wait. Contact us today for a free consultation with a Myrtle Beach spinal cord injury lawyer.
Importance of Legal Representation in Myrtle Beach Spinal Cord Injury Cases
If someone else caused your spinal cord injury (SCI), they are likely financially responsible for the injury’s many debilitating consequences on your life. Their financial responsibility, in turn, is likely covered by their insurance provider. And while it should be easy, in an ideal world, to get that insurer to pay you what it owes you, the reality is far more challenging.
Insurance adjusters are more interested in protecting the insurance company’s profits than in helping injured individuals meet their needs. As such, they will do whatever they can to minimize or reject claims. Our skilled attorneys understand the tactics adjusters deploy and how to combat them. We can collect the necessary evidence to present a solid claim for the full compensation you deserve while leaving you free to focus on your health.
The team at Jebaily Law Firm has been helping injured people in South Carolina recover compensation for over 50 years. We’ve put millions of dollars back into the bank accounts of people like you, giving them the financial security they need during the most challenging times. Let us put our experience, skills, and passion for justice to work on your case so you can move on with dignity.
Common Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
There are two main types of severe spinal cord injuries: complete and incomplete. A complete spinal cord injury results in a total loss of function below the level of the injury. That means the injury victim is paralyzed below where the spinal cord was damaged. An incomplete injury means the victim retains some function in the affected area. An incomplete spinal cord injury may eventually progress to a complete spinal cord injury over time.
SCIs are also categorized based on the location of the spinal cord damage and the parts of the body affected. Damage that occurs lower on the spine may result in paralysis of the lower limbs, which is a condition called paraplegia. When damage occurs higher on the spine, it could cause paralysis of all four limbs and the trunk of the body – a condition called quadriplegia or tetraplegia.
Causes of Spinal Cord Injury in Myrtle Beach
Spinal injuries result from many different causes. A few examples of common causes of damage to the spinal cord include:
- Workplace accidents
- Car crashes and other motor vehicle accidents
- Falls from heights
- Getting struck by something
- Pedestrian accidents
- Malfunctioning equipment or machinery
- Getting caught between objects
- Slip-and-fall accidents
Complications and Treatments for SCIs
Damage to the spinal cord can cause a wide range of medical complications, including:
- Weakness or difficulty moving parts of the body
- Loss of bowel and bladder control
- Sexual dysfunction
- Tingling, numbness, and changes in sensation in the feet and hands
- Pressure or pain in the neck, back, or head
- Respiratory problems
- Circulatory issues
- Chronic pain
- Skin breakdown
- Mental health issues
Treatments focus on stabilizing the spine through surgery, managing complications, maximizing function through rehabilitation, and adapting to disability through occupational therapy and assistive technology. The first hours after the accident are critical for spinal cord injury victims, as prompt emergency medical care can minimize lasting damage.
Compensation for Spinal Cord Injuries in Myrtle Beach
Each spinal cord injury case is unique. The compensation you are eligible to receive will depend on factors such as the nature and severity of your injury, the effects of the SCI on your finances, and the long-term consequences of the injury on your life.
Our Myrtle Beach spinal cord injury attorneys can help you pursue maximum compensation for losses such as:
- Medical expenses, including medical bills for ambulance rides, ER visits, doctor’s appointments, specialist consultations, operations, assistive devices, and physical therapy
- Lost wages due to missed time at work
- Reduced earning capacity if a disability prevents you from returning to your previous job
- Physical and psychological pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium for your spouse
Consult with an attorney from our spinal cord injury law firm for a better idea of how much money you can reasonably expect to recover in your claim.
Legal Process for Myrtle Beach SCI Cases
The typical process for pursuing compensation for spinal cord injuries frequently involves the following steps:
- Investigation – Your attorney will gather evidence like police reports, medical records, and statements from witnesses and experts to understand how the accident happened and the full extent of your spinal damage and long-term impairment.
- Demand letter – Once your lawyer has compiled evidence demonstrating who caused your SCI, they will send a demand letter to that party and their insurer seeking compensation for your losses.
- Settlement negotiations – Your lawyer will negotiate with insurance company representatives to seek a fair settlement that will end your case and avert the need for further legal action. If the insurer refuses to offer adequate compensation, your attorney may file a personal injury lawsuit.
- Litigation – Your lawyer will file documents with the court stating your allegations of negligence against the at-fault party, who is now the defendant. An extensive exchange of information, known as discovery, takes place to support each side’s arguments and narrow the issues for trial.
- Mediation – Mediation offers a final way to resolve the dispute without going to trial. A professional mediator facilitates negotiations, helping the sides reconcile their differences and achieve a mutually agreeable outcome.
- Trial – If mediation and other alternative methods of resolution fail, your case will go before a judge or jury who will act as factfinders and determine whether the defendant owes you money and, if so, how much. Most personal injury claims settle without the need for a trial.
Benefits of Choosing Our Myrtle Beach Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers
When you choose Jebaily Law Firm, you will work with a team dedicated to:
- Client care – Each member of our team is passionate about providing the highest level of individual attention and focus.
- Personal communication – Our lawyers will keep you posted about the progress of your case. We are always available by email, phone, text, or video chat.
- Hard work – The attorneys at Jebaily Law Firm understand the value of hard work and determination. Our dedication to the rights of injured people in South Carolina pushes us to always be our best.
- Community – We have a vested interest in your well-being because we are passionate about being agents for good in our community.
If you have suffered a spinal cord injury in Myrtle Beach, our personal injury attorneys are available to help you demand the care and compensation you need for ongoing treatment and expenses. Contact us today for a free consultation with an experienced lawyer to learn more about your legal options for recovering compensation.