Pedestrian accidents are on the rise throughout South Carolina, including here in Surfside Beach. In fact, according to data released by the Governors Highway Safety Association, South Carolina pedestrian accidents have increased by at least 7% in recent years.
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident in Surfside Beach, it’s important to know your legal rights.
In South Carolina, pedestrians who are harmed due to someone else’s negligence may recover compensation for medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. The caring legal team at Jebaily Law Firm can help. We’ve recovered significant amounts of compensation on behalf of injured people in Surfside Beach and throughout the state.
To speak with a pedestrian accident lawyer in Surfside Beach, contact us today and schedule a free consultation.
How Our Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Can Help
If you or someone you know was injured in a pedestrian accident, it’s critical to hire an experienced attorney. Successfully recovering compensation involves more than just filing a claim, and it requires a thorough understanding of the legal process.
At Jebaily Law Firm, we have the skills and resources to handle these complex cases. Our legal team can:
- Send a team of investigators to the scene of the accident. They can obtain statements from witnesses, take photos, and secure other evidence that may be helpful for your case.
- Obtain official copies of your medical records to prove your “damages,” which is a legal term referring to the extent of your injuries.
- Obtain police reports and hire relevant experts.
- Use accident reconstruction services to prove fault. This may be essential, because South Carolina is what’s known as a “comparative fault” state. This means that if you are found to be partially responsible for the accident, then any compensation you may recover will be reduced accordingly. If your percentage of fault exceeds the defendant’s, then you likely will not recover any compensation.
- Fully litigate your claim and take your case to trial, if needed.
- Demand the highest compensation available on your behalf.
Types of Pedestrian Accidents and Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents can occur for a number of different reasons and in many different ways. Among the cases our law firm handles, these are some of the most common causes and types of pedestrian accidents in Surfside Beach, SC.
- Distracted Driving – With more and more drivers using mobile devices while on the road, distracted driving is on the rise. Even a moment of inattention can have disastrous consequences, especially for vulnerable pedestrians.
- Driving While Under the Influence – Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol remains a major problem on South Carolina’s roadways, and Surfside Beach is no exception. Intoxicated driving can lead to impaired judgment, speeding, and other negligent behavior that puts pedestrians’ lives at risk.
- Failure to Obey Traffic Signs and Laws – When pedestrians use marked crosswalks, they should expect that other drivers will obey the rules of the road as well. Drivers who disregard crosswalks, stop signs, and signals pose significant risks to pedestrians.
- Collisions with Cyclists – In South Carolina, bicyclists riding on a sidewalk must yield to pedestrians. When riding on the street, they must also follow traffic laws, such as stopping at stop signs and yielding to pedestrians who are crossing at marked crosswalks. When bicyclists fail to observe right-of-way laws, this can result in serious injuries to pedestrians.
Types of Pedestrian Accident Injuries
When a vehicle collides with a pedestrian, the injuries are rarely minor. Victims can be left with life-altering or fatal injuries. Some of the most common pedestrian accident injuries include:
- Traumatic Brain Injury – Traumatic brain injury is among the most devastating types of harm in pedestrian accidents, and it can lead to coma or death.
- Spinal Cord Injury – The impact of a crash can damage a pedestrian’s spinal cord, which may result in paralysis.
- Broken Bones – The impact of colliding with a moving vehicle or bicycle can leave pedestrians with broken bones and fractures.
- Internal Bleeding – It’s not uncommon for injured pedestrians to suffer from internal bleeding and organ damage.
- Loss of Limbs – When involved in serious accidents, pedestrians may end up losing their limbs, which has life-altering effects.
- Road Rash and Lacerations – If a pedestrian is dragged on the road or sidewalk due to a collision, this often results in road rash, which is when layers of the skin are removed. While road rash and lacerations typically resolve without complications, severe instances can lead to significant scarring, disfigurement, or infections. Road rash can also involve a painful recovery.
UM/UIM Coverage for Pedestrian Accident Victims
In South Carolina, all motorists must carry insurance in the event they are involved in a collision. If you’re injured in a pedestrian accident, you would typically file a claim against the driver’s auto insurance. But what if you’re a pedestrian and you’ve been hit by an uninsured or under-insured motorist? What if the driver never even stopped?
Many pedestrians don’t realize that if they have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM) on their auto policy, they may be able to file a claim with their own insurance company even though they weren’t driving at the time. In this case, the payout would come directly from your own policy.
Even though you are dealing with “your” insurer, don’t count on the insurance company to automatically pay out the full value of your claim. The attorneys at Jebaily Law Firm can stand up for your rights and seek the full amount you are due from all sources of insurance.
Contact a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Surfside Beach Today
If you were injured in a Surfside Beach pedestrian accident, you may have legal recourse. But it’s important to speak with an attorney right away, since there are strict deadlines that apply to your claim.
At Jebaily Law Firm, you can rest assured that our legal team has the skills and experience to successfully handle your claim. We will fully investigate your case, document your ongoing damages, and demand the highest compensation feasible.
To speak with a pedestrian accident lawyer in South Carolina, contact us today. Our legal team is ready to meet with you for a free consultation.