North Myrtle Beach sees a lot of pedestrian traffic, especially during the busy summer season. Unfortunately, when drivers in this coastal town act in a careless or reckless manner, they put pedestrians at risk of suffering catastrophic or even fatal injuries in an accident. If you were hurt in a crash, an experienced North Myrtle Beach pedestrian accident attorney can help you pursue justice from the negligent driver who caused your injuries.
For more than five decades, the North Myrtle Beach pedestrian accident lawyers of Jebaily Law Firm have been defending the rights and interests of injured accident victims throughout South Carolina. With over 100 years of combined experience, our legal team has the skills needed to handle the most complex personal injury cases. Our firm is dedicated to not only pursuing financial compensation and accountability for the harm you have suffered but also making our communities in North Myrtle Beach and South Carolina safer for residents and visitors.
Contact us today for a free case evaluation to learn how a North Myrtle Beach pedestrian accident lawyer can help you pursue fair and full compensation for your losses.
How Our North Myrtle Beach Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been hit by a car or another motor vehicle, the attorneys of Jebaily Law Firm can help you demand financial compensation for the injuries suffered by:
- Investigating the crash to secure evidence against the negligent or reckless driver
- Documenting the full extent of your losses, including not only bills and invoices but also the intangible personal harm you’ve suffered due to the accident
- Working with trusted experts to determine how your injuries will affect you in the future and how compensation should account for anticipated future losses
- Filing your claim for compensation with the relevant insurance companies and vigorously pursuing a settlement that provides you with fair compensation
- Preparing your case for trial, if litigation proves necessary to give you the best chance at maximum recovery
When you choose us to help after a pedestrian accident, you can expect us to fight for the best possible outcome for your case.
Compensation for Victims of North Myrtle Beach Pedestrian Accidents
After a pedestrian accident in North Myrtle Beach, you may be entitled to recover financial compensation for expenses and losses you have incurred or will incur due to your injuries. These might include:
- Medical bills
- Physical rehabilitation
- Long-term personal care
- Lost wages/income or lost earning potential
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress or trauma
- Lost quality of life
- Loss of consortium
Time Limit for Filing a Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit
If you choose to file a personal injury lawsuit after a pedestrian accident, South Carolina’s statute of limitations requires that your suit be filed within three years of the date of the crash. Filing suit after the limitations period expires means the at-fault party can move to have your lawsuit dismissed out of court, leaving you unable to recover compensation from those responsible for your injuries and losses.
Do not wait to speak with a knowledgeable pedestrian accident lawyer about your case. Three years may seem like a lot of time, but evidence disappears quickly and memories fade. The sooner an attorney can begin work on your case, the better.
What Should I Do After a Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been hit while walking as a pedestrian, you can take steps to protect your rights and options for pursuing compensation from the driver or party at fault for your injuries:
- Seek treatment and follow the doctor’s orders. Get examined by a doctor as soon as possible after the accident to diagnose any injuries you may have sustained. Follow your doctor’s treatment plan, as failing to do so could give the other side cause to doubt the seriousness of your injuries.
- Keep copies of all documentation related to the accident. Gather bills, invoices, medical documents, pay stubs, and any other files that will help to show the extent of your losses.
- Keep a journal to document how your injuries and treatments impact your daily living.You may keep notes on your pain levels to report back to your doctor, as well as activities you find you can no longer participate in.
- Avoid discussing the crash on social media or with family and friends. Also refrain from posting any photos or videos of yourself on social media while still undergoing treatment. Insurance companies often try to use accident victims’ social media posts to contradict their claim.
Finally, make time to speak to a North Myrtle Beach pedestrian accident lawyer to discuss next steps in pursuing your claim.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in North Myrtle Beach
Most pedestrian accidents are caused by the negligence or recklessness of other motorists on the road. Some of the most common reasons why pedestrian accidents occur in North Myrtle Beach include:
- Speeding, or driving too fast for conditions
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Failure to yield at intersections or crosswalks
- Distracted driving, especially texting while driving
- Driving while intoxicated by drugs or alcohol
- Drowsy or fatigued driving
- Inexperienced drivers
- Brake failure due to inadequate maintenance or defect
Other factors that can contribute to pedestrian accidents include low lighting at night, adverse weather such as heavy precipitation or fog, and unsafe crosswalk or intersection design that puts pedestrians at risk of vehicle collisions.
Common Injuries in Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrians, unfortunately, have no protection in the event of a collision with a motor vehicle. As a result, pedestrian accidents often lead to severe or life-altering injuries, such as:
- Lacerations and severe bleeding
- Road rash and burn injuries
- Broken bones
- Joint dislocations
- Soft-tissue injuries, including sprains or strains, tears, or spinal disc herniations
- Neck and back injuries, including whiplash injuries
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Crush injuries
- Head injuries and traumatic brain injury
- Traumatic amputation
In the most tragic cases, these accidents can lead to wrongful death.
Contact a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in North Myrtle Beach Today
If you have been hurt in a pedestrian accident in North Myrtle Beach, contact Jebaily Law Firm today for a free, no-obligation consultation with a knowledgeable pedestrian accident lawyer. Learn about your rights and how our firm can help you pursue financial compensation and justice from those responsible for your injuries.