After a work injury in Georgetown, dealing with South Carolina’s workers’ compensation system may be a task you’re unprepared to tackle. However, if you’re watching medical bills pile up and you can’t work because of your injury, you need financial help. Seeking workers’ comp benefits is key to ensuring you don’t get left with the bills.
At Jebaily Law Firm, our Georgetown workers’ compensation lawyers want to help you seek the maximum benefits you’re entitled to. Let us take the burden of handling your case off your shoulders during this difficult time.
Learn more by calling us or contacting us online to schedule a free consultation about your workers’ compensation claim.
Why You Need Our Lawyers for Your Georgetown Workers’ Comp Case
The South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Act requires most employers in South Carolina with four or more employees to purchase workers’ compensation insurance. If you’re someone’s employee, it’s likely you can file a workers’ comp claim after a workplace accident.
You should hire a Georgetown workers’ comp lawyer from Jebaily Law Firm when doing so. Reasons to hire our firm include:
- Convenience and ease – Healing from your injury should be your focus now. You may find it’s easier to prioritize your health when a workers’ compensation lawyer handles your case. We can do everything from completing paperwork to coordinating with medical professionals and fighting for maximum benefits at hearings and appeals.
- Experience – Our firm has been representing South Carolina injury victims for more than 50 years. We understand the relevant laws and have a proven track record of success.
- Protection – The insurance company isn’t on your side when you file a workers’ comp claim. An insurer’s goal is to safeguard their bottom line, so they’ll be looking for every possible opportunity to deny or undervalue your claim. Our qualified workplace injury attorneys can protect you by fighting back if an insurer tries to unfairly deny or devalue your claim.
Common Types of Accidents at Georgetown Workplaces
Workplace accidents come in many forms. Examples include:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Falls from heights
- Repetitive trauma injuries
- Overuse injuries
- Heavy machinery striking workers
- Heavy items falling from heights and striking workers below
- Slip and falls
- Electrical accidents
Workplace accidents may be more common in some occupations than others. However, accidents can occur in virtually all work environments, including ones that seem safe. Even remote workers may be eligible for workers’ comp benefits if they sustain harm while performing work-related duties.
Common Workplace Injuries in Georgetown, SC
The nature of a worker’s injuries will depend on the accident. Common injuries Georgetown workers’ comp attorneys see in clients include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Strains and sprains
- Neck and back injuries
- Joint damage
- Toxic exposure
- Overexertion injuries
- Repetitive motion injuries
What Do Workers’ Comp Benefits Cover?
Under South Carolina law, workers’ compensation benefits may cover:
- Reasonable and necessary medical expenses
- Partial replacement of lost wages
- Permanent disability
- Death benefits
Workers’ compensation benefits apply only to financial losses resulting from a work-related accident. They don’t cover losses like pain and suffering.
Potential Third-Party Injury Cases for Work Injuries in Georgetown County
Workers’ compensation claims differ from personal injury claims based on negligence. When filing a personal injury claim, you must show that your injuries resulted from someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing. That’s not necessary for workers’ compensation benefits. You only need to show your injuries or condition arose out of or occurred while you were performing your duties to show you’re entitled to workers’ comp benefits.
However, it’s possible your workplace injury was the result of another party’s negligence. Consider the following potential scenarios:
- You sustain injuries when a piece of equipment fails in the workplace. The equipment failed because of a manufacturing or design defect.
- A careless motorist causes an accident while you’re driving on the job.
- You’re injured while working at a job site another party owns because of an unaddressed hazardous condition on the property.
In cases such as these, you may be able to file a separate lawsuit against the negligent third party. Our workplace injury lawyers can assist you in these circumstances by:
- Determining whether you have a third-party claim or lawsuit
- Investigating your accident to identify the negligent party
- Collecting evidence to support your case
- Submitting a claim or filing a lawsuit on your behalf
- Negotiating with the insurance company if their settlement offer is low
- Pursuing the case in court if a settlement isn’t possible
While you can’t seek money for noneconomic losses like pain and suffering through a workers’ comp claim, you may pursue them in a third-party injury claim. You can also seek compensation for the full extent of your lost income.
Tips for Protecting Your Rights in a Workplace Accident in Georgetown, SC
Enlisting the help of our Georgetown workers’ compensation attorney after a workplace accident is the best way to protect your rights. Other tips to remember include:
- Notify your employer immediately. The South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Act requires injured workers to report accidents to their employers within 90 days. Workers must also file claims within two years of their accidents. You may unintentionally waive your right to compensation if you miss the filing deadlines.
- Ask for medical care. Even if you think you will be fine, work injuries are all different and having a thorough medical exam is always a good idea.
- Follow medical advice. Adhere to all treatment plans medical professionals recommend.
- Stay off social media. Posting about your accident or discussing it with anyone other than your lawyer is unwise. Generally, it’s best to stay off social media when a case is pending. An insurer could use your posts against you.
You don’t need to deal directly with insurance adjusters if you fear accidentally saying something that harms your case. Our Georgetown workplace injury attorneys are ready to handle all correspondence with the insurance company for you.
Get Legal Help from Our Georgetown Workers’ Compensation Attorneys
You deserve some peace of mind after a workplace injury. At Jebaily Law Firm, our Georgetown workers’ comp lawyers can provide it by handling your claim while you focus on your health. Get started today by contacting us online or calling us to set up your free initial consultation.